Definition of Personal Information
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name or business contact information of an employee of an organization.
AutoCanada Inc., and the AutoCanada group of dealerships (referred to in this policy as “AutoCanada” or “we” or “us”) are responsible for protecting the personal information of our existing customers and prospects (referred to in this policy as “customers” or “you”) that is in our custody or under our control, including personal information that has been transferred to or received from a third party. The personal information is collected in accordance with applicable privacy legislation and is governed by this policy.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
We collect personal information from you to serve you better. Personal information better helps us understand your automotive and related needs, allows us to communicate effectively with you, and allows us to provide you services and products.
We may collect, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- Verify identity and ensure accuracy of the information we have on record
- Advise of special offers, updates and other information
- Communicate with manufacturers
- Fulfill and deliver orders for goods or services, as well as administer transactions, including determining eligibility for financing
- Provide services (such as warranty and extended service plans), and the booking of appointments
- Analyze the performance of vehicles, maintain and repair operating systems, investigate accidents and systems and locating vehicles
- Improve product and service offerings and to conduct surveys
- Detect and prevent fraud
- Compile statistics and report to regulatory agencies
- Comply with the law
We refer to these as our Identified Purposes.
How We Gather Personal Information
The collection, use and disclosure of personal information depends on how a customer does business with us. We gather information from customers in the following ways:
- over the telephone, electronically or through face-to-face meetings
- on the purchase of a new or used vehicle from a salesperson’s
- customer information sheet
- on the new or used vehicle purchase deal sheet
- through vehicle systems which record event data
- on the trade-in information document
- through public sources to confirm addresses and phone numbers
- on the purchase & sale Agreement, and other purchase or repair
- order forms or invoices such as the application of insurance or
- purchase of a warranty or after-market products
- from vehicle manufacturers, credit providers and/or credit reporting agencies
- through our call center communication
The Commitment We Make To Customers When They Share Personal Information
When you provide information to us, your personal information may be used or disclosed for the Identified Purposes among AutoCanada, their affiliates, automobile manufacturers, parts manufacturers and/or third parties, including third party financing companies and credit agencies. The AutoCanada group of dealerships may verify such information or obtain additional personal information about you in question by checking with government agencies, credit bureaus, motor vehicle agencies and other fact collecting and verifying entities to assist us in the Identified Purposes.
Your knowledge and consent is generally required before we may collect, use or disclose your personal information. Explicit consent is not required where your consent is deemed by law or not required by law. These situations may include an investigation by the police where personal information is publicly available or in situations where otherwise permitted by law. In cases where we collect personal information that requires consent, we will obtain specific written or oral consent from you before collecting, using or disclosing such information. If you provide information regarding eligibility for financing, you are consenting to our disclosure of such information to third party financing companies and/or credit agencies.
Protection of Personal Information
Personal information will be kept at the offices of AutoCanada and/or a dealer. All electronic and paper based information will be maintained under strict security systems appropriate to sensitivity of the personal information to safeguard all personal information that is in the custody or in the control of AutoCanada and/or the dealership from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal, or similar risks.
All third parties that obtain personal information from AutoCanada and/or a dealership (with respect to financing requests and insurance applications, for example) are contractually required to protect customers’ confidentiality in a manner consistent with this policy, and/or as required by law.
Customers’ Right To Access Their Personal Information
You may access the personal information that we maintain in our custody or under our control.
How a Customer Accesses Their Personal Information
If you want access to your personal information you must make a request in writing to AutoCanada’s Privacy Officer, stating the specific personal information you are requesting and the name of your dealership.
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information at any time on reasonable notice, subject to legal or contractual restrictions (such as where we have arranged to extend credit to you and are required to collect or disclose your personal information on an ongoing basis from or to third parties). If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products and services to you. You may withdraw same by contacting us as per below.
How To Contact Us
To contact the AutoCanada Privacy Officer:
Address: 200 – 15511 123 Ave, Edmonton AB T5V 0C3
Telephone number: (780) 482-3139
Fax number: (780) 447-0651
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org